Thursday, February 6, 2014

ii. Once We Were One


Once my people
we were one.
 
We felt our skins held together
and never apart. What borders did we not cross?
 But fifty miles away from the Highlife days of that March
we see with blinding sight. Just fifty miles away……….
 
and we march on heels on the Main Street
sing sin and dance like chickens in garbage pails.
 
How sweet is the dream-salt we taste
with our swollen lips. My, my, my……
Can we rage against the dying light,
bend double to gather what we lost in our fields of praise?
 
Nothing we cared for when the moon was rising
in the fields of praise is honored by the foxes.
I’m drunk with fatigue in these clumsy helmets.
I’m plunged in a gutter, choking, drowning
and these white eyes are writhing in my face.
 
You saw them bearing the farm away though
they heard us sang in our chains like wailing whales.

Oh, my, my, my…………….
Once, sweet was the wine of one flesh in the dead fields of praise
and we drank and drank.



Where are these now?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment