Tuesday, December 10, 2013

DADDY, COME HOME FOR CHRISTMAS

(for my children)

Daddy, please come home for Christmas
soon, Church bells would be ringing;
our choir would be singing, the "Silent Night"
and the glad news of Christmas
will fill the air of every home


right now, I have no friend
to wish me greetings of Merry Christmas
nor tell me how wonderful the New Year would be
so Daddy, why don’t you come home for Christmas

for it is going to be a Holy Night with angels watching

the house next door, our relations across the road
have all put up their Christmas trees
they have even lit their candlelight in the porch
and by New Year's night friends and relations
will send each other salutations

they will drum and sing and dance

every child will dance and sing too

they will see a star shine above
and joy will fill their hearts, when Daddy walks in
to put a smile on their cheeks

my child will see no star but an empty space
void of an arm that could warm the soul
so Daddy, tell her gently how long is her wait
for you to come home for Christmas?
 
if you could come home for Christmas

our home would be a manger in my heart
where there’d be no more sorrow
and there would be no more grief nor pain
I'll just be happy, and happy in my soul
for Daddy is home with me for Christmas

Daddy, for my sake

please come home for Christmas
I want to hear the bells ring too
I want to be in the choir
when they sing, the "Silent Night"
and the glad news of Christmas
would fill the veins of my heart just because

Daddy is home with me for Christmas

(Written in Columbus, Ohio 1998)

No comments:

Post a Comment